Director, Public Investments
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Halifax Regional Municipality Pension Plan (the ‘Plan’) has approximately $2.0 billion of assets under management. The Plan became effective April 1, 1998, resulting from the merger of four pension plans sponsored by the Halifax Regional Municipality. Today the Plan is one of the largest public pension plans in Atlantic Canada, providing current and future pensions to over 10,000 members. The Plan has 16 staff and is located in downtown Halifax.
The Plan has recently hired a new Chief Executive Officer with a clear mandate to build on the Plan’s excellent record of investment performance, while developing a strong team capable of successfully leading the Plan forward in a complex and challenging operating environment.
Approximately $1.3 billion of the assets under management are invested with external investment managers across public asset classes with mandates that include Canadian equities, U.S. equities, EAFE equities, global equities, Canadian fixed income and global fixed income. The current public asset class mandates include active, passive, factor based, and portable alpha approaches. The remaining assets are invested in real estate, infrastructure, private equity and private debt. The private or alternative asset classes are accessed via primary funds, secondary market fund purchases, club deals, and co-investments. Across both public and private asset classes, the Plan has been an innovative, sophisticated and opportunistic investor.
- Reports to the Plan’s Chief Executive Officer and will be a key member of the Plan’s senior management team.
- Has two direct reports serving as investment and reporting analysts.
- Monitors all existing public investment mandates and is responsible for performance and risk attribution and management.
- Makes recommendations for changes to current mandates and for new investment opportunities.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of asset mix strategies and tactics.
- Manages any required foreign exchange hedging programs and other derivatives-based risk mitigation efforts.
- Supports all investment reporting requirements.
- Works closely with the Private Investment team to ensure an integrated approach to portfolio management.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- Demonstrated experience managing fixed income, equity and other investments directly and/or through delegated investment manager relationships, ideally for the benefit of pension, endowment or foundation sponsors.
- A strong understanding of capital markets, risk management strategies, and asset mix management.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, a proven record of leadership and a strong desire to work in a genuinely collegial environment.
- An appropriate educational background and relevant professional designations
Interested candidates can forward their resume to Ian Sullivan via email@example.com